Student Support and Wellbeing

Meet The Team

  • Hello, I’m Michaela and I am the wellbeing manager. I have worked at City College Peterborough for 16 years and first started on an apprenticeship in Business Admin. I then found a passion for supporting the young people who attended the college and took a role in the wellbeing office. I am a designated safeguarding lead and lead in Criminal exploitation.
  • Hello, I am Georgia, and I am one of the Wellbeing Officers. I have worked at City College as a wellbeing Officer since 2017. I have a BA Honours in Health & Social Care and studied Health and Social Care at college. I am a designated Safeguarding Officer and take lead on youth offending and young people with parents in prison. I have also completed lots of training in a variety of areas, including mental health, challenging behaviour, trauma and first aid.
  • Hi, my name is Carleen, and I became a Wellbeing Officer at City College Peterborough in 2019. I have knowledge in the benefit system and can support learners with applying for benefits as well as applying for bursary with college. I am a Designated Person for safeguarding and my lead area is Domestic Abuse/Violence. I have also completed training including Mental health, sexual health and emotion coaching to name a few.
  • Hello, I am Jade, and I started as a Wellbeing Officer in 2019. I have degrees in Psychology and Mental Health Nursing and have lots of experience in supporting people with mental health illness, learning disabilities, disabilities, and challenging behaviour. I am a Designated Person for Safeguarding and I am lead in Mental Health. I have completed training in lots of areas including first aid, medication, mental health and attachment and trauma.

Travel and Taxis

If you do require to use the local buses, you can use the link below to see the current routes for the local stagecoach buses.

Stagecoach Peterborough Routes

JMC- For the JMC campus in Dogsthorpe you will need to use the number 5 service which will drop you off at the Medical Centre bus stop which is a minutes’ walk from the campus.

Brook Street Campus- If you’re classes are at our Brook Street Campus then you only need to catch your local route into the City Centre, the campus is a short walk from the bus depot.

If you require transport through the local authority in the form of the taxi service, you will need to contact your local authority transport team. Links and numbers for this information can be found below. The local authority will then contact us to confirm your young persons timetable details.

Peterborough College Transport or phone 01733 747474
Cambridge College Transport or phone 0345 045 5200


To help you make the most of college we offer student financial support to cover costs of transport through the local bus service as well as free college meals. To be eligible for this your household income would need to be below £16,190.
An application will need to be completed and you will need to supply evidence from the list below so we can assess what support we are able to provide-

  • Guaranteed Pensions Credit.
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • In care or classed as a care leaver.
  • Universal Credit – Recent 3 full consecutive statements are required earned income must not exceed £7,400
  • Child Tax Credit Award Notice 21/2021 (Partial or provisional awards are not accepted. Working tax credit not accepted)
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Income related Employment Support Allowance / ESA
  • Income Support
  • 19-23 years of age and in receipt of an EHCP and one other benefit from the above list

We also offer a Vulnerable Bursary program which aims to enable young people to attend and buy resources for college.  This bursary is a weekly payment into the young persons bank account.

To apply for this an application will need to be completed and one of the following pieces of evidence will need to be provided-

  • In care or classed as a care leaver (Evidence required from Local Authority)
  • In receipt of Income support or Universal Credit. (Income support letter or Universal Credit, must be 3 most recent consecutive statements, as well as a housing tenancy, utility bill. Must be in your own name.)
  • Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit AND Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance.

Emotional Health

As a wellbeing team, we are knowledgeable and have lots of experience working with young people who struggle with their mental health. We also provide a college counsellor who is able to meet with you if you feel this support is required. If you do not want to talk to college about any problems but feel some support is required, please ask us for our leaflet with contact numbers on for external agencies that could support you.
Please approach a member of the wellbeing team if you are struggling, nothing is too big or small to talk about!


As a wellbeing team, we are fully trained and often deal with safeguarding concerns. If you are worried about yourself or someone else, please always seek a member of the wellbeing team for support and guidance.

Support & Signposting

City College Peterborough work with many external agencies who can come into college and work alongside the young person. For example.

ABC – The ABC support project is for young people who need support around healthy relationships, sex, sexual health and keeping safe online and in the community.

ICASH – We have close connections with ICASH who support young people with their sexual health. This service also includes contraception.

Counselling – As a college, we pay for an external counsellor to meet with some of our learners who are struggling with their mental health or other issues which are impacting on their wellbeing.

School nurse – As a college, we have access to a school nurse through the NHS who is available to meet with learners who feel they may need support with their general health.

Aspire – Drug and Alcohol Support sessions for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol abuse. Advice, support and guidance is provided to the young person by an experienced and trained worker.

If you require support that is not listed above, please always ask as there maybe something we can do to help.


If for any reason you are unwell and cannot make it into college on your timetabled day, please use the absence line and leave a voicemail with your name and the reason – 01733 830970

If you would like to discuss your reason with a member of the wellbeing team, please contact the college as you usually would on 01733 761361 and ask to speak to a member of the wellbeing team.

If we do not hear from you and you have not attended college, the wellbeing team will contact you during the day to ensure you are ok.

Student Advocacy

The wellbeing team are here for the young person and ultimately our job is to support the young person to be successful in their education. Our office is a safe space for the young person to be able to talk about anything bothering them and we can then support in an appropriate way.


SEND Support

Meet the team

  • Hello, my name is Natasha and I am the Senior SEN officer at City College. I oversee the SEND department, this can include working with the local authorities, parents and schools to ensure all learners are given an equal opportunity within their educational journey.
  • Hi, my name is Leonie, and I am a Progress Coach for the Colleges special educational needs and disabilities department (SEND) I work to support the completion of annual reviews to ensure your needs are accurately reflected so you’re able to progress as best you can. I also work with tutors to ensure that lessons are accessible for all.
  • Hello, I’m Jacob and I’m a Progress Coach with the SEND department at City College. I work to support the completion of EHCP reviews and liaise with local authorities to ensure these EHCPs are maintained. 

SEND support around college

City College Peterborough although a mainstream provision sets out to ensure any learners with SEND are correctly catered for to ensure accessibility across all our courses. This includes ensuring any existing exam arrangements are in place and that EHCP provision is followed. If you have any queries around your or your young person’s SEND needs, please call 01733 761 361 and ask for the SEND team.

Local offer

The local offer is provided to residents by each council as an overview of what is currently available for SEND young people. Local authorities work with schools, colleges, and specialist provisions to gather information of what courses and support is currently on offer in the area. All of this information can be found on the below websites-

Peterborough Local Offer

Cambridge Local Offer

Early Help

Early Help provides person-centred support to help families thrive within the community and every-day life. Early help is not a social services intervention but instead a gate way into receiving support that could benefit young people and help them engage within education and adulthood preparation. The links below will take you to each respective councils support pages-

Early Help – Peterborough City Council

Early Help Assessments – Cambridgeshire County Council

Encouraging independence

Our main role as a college is to prepare young people for life as an adult and this is a theme that needs to run through all parts of their education. We know taking this step can be dauting for young people and carers alike, but our SEND department will be there every step of the way to ensure this is managed at a pace that suits the individual. The SEND team can help support young people into their own suitable path whether this is employment, apprenticeships, supported living or social/ day opportunities.

Transitions & school links

We work with surrounding schools and colleges to make sure any transition runs as smooth as possible and in line with the young persons needs. Our SEND and Wellbeing teams often do school visits to share college opportunities with Peterborough’s young people and toward the end of academic years will run transition sessions so learners can experience college life before the big move in September, these sessions let new learners meet tutors and support staff to help make that change a little less daunting in the new term. Our transitions can be personalised where needed depending on SEND needs, talk to our SEND department for more details on 01733 761 361 (ask for the SEND team)


General College Information

Upcoming Events

Text for upcoming events/ dates etc.

OFSTED reports

OFSTED Report 2017