Welcome to the Access Champions!
The Access Champions are a group of young people who are passionate about improving access for the disabled community in and around Peterborough.
Our mission statement:
Our hope to gain fair access becomes our destiny to fulfil
Our Achievements To Date:
Since 2015, we have achieved the following and we are very proud!
- In 2015, we were nominated for an Accessible Britain Challenge Award
- We have completed Access Statements on Peterborough polling stations
- We represented the college at the annual scrutiny panel
- We have delivered presentations to Peterborough’s Commissioning Directors
- We appeared on local radio: our favourite!!
- We have helped with Peterborough Cathedrals plans for a new tea room
- We hosted Peterborough’s Big Youth Shout Out; we produced a film showing the hopes, dreams, aspirations and challenges of young disabled people in Peterborough
- We have established Facebook and Twitter pages, as well as a website
- We worked with AIM Awards to write a Level 1 AIM awards Disability Awareness qualification
The Future: How the Access Champions will help!
- We are working on a very exciting project with Health Watch Cambridgeshire and Peterborough called Access Health, looking at the accessibility of doctors surgery’s in and around Peterborough for disabled people. Follow the link for our story so far…. https://mailchi.mp/healthwatchcambspboro.co.uk/april18?e=f3183bb581
- We will be recruiting and training future Access Champions
- We will hold a stall at Peterborough’s Feel The Force Day 2018
- We will volunteer and network at the Rise 4 Disability event on 12th July. We hope to see you all there!
- We are going to carry out Mystery Shopper exercises on local bus services around Peterborough.
- Our travel training scheme will continue to be delivered in house as well as to external agency’s.
- We will design a Disability Awareness training package to deliver in schools
- And finally, we will arrange yearly events to celebrate our achievements!
As you can see, we have big dreams for the future! However, all of our projects focus on three things….
- Raising awareness and removing barriers for the disabled community.
- Helping all members of our community gain access to buildings, facilities and public services.
- Ensuring fair access for future generations.
We are a group of young people who are passionate about creating change in the community!
If you are interested in any of our past, current and future projects or would like to join our team of Access Champions, please don’t hesitate to get involved. We can be contacted via the details below…
Follow us on Twitter: @AccessChamps
Like our Facebook page: Access Champions